Sunday, January 18, 2009


I will not be speaking of the diet today because the news is grim. I had a bad case of the non-drug-related munchies this weekend, but I will try to recover before Wednesday. Don't worry team, I will not let you down.
I have to write this story down so it will be in my blog-journal for posterity. I debated it because it may seem innapropriate to some readers. It isn't but it may seem that way. Anyway, in commemoration of Martin Luther Kings Birthday, here is what Ali has learned about race this week.
Apparently when you are in Kindergarten the teachers like to experiment on you. Last Friday her class did a re-creation of 1960's America, but on a smaller but equally absurd scale. So everyone with brown hair was essentially "black" for an hour. They were treated differently, but of course we are talking about the public school system here so they weren't really treated badly. (A lot of kids have lawyers these days.) Ali was very upset by this (why do they always do this to the brown haired kids?) but I guess that was the point, unless you happen to be blond, then you just always believe that you are better that the rest of us.
Ok- so she was relaying the story to me and kind of telling me a weird version of the Rosa Parks story, and I said, "Aren't you glad that people are treated equally now?" She snapped back, "No, I'm just glad I'm white."
Bravo public school system

4 comments:

Randi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Randi said...

I remember in Kindergarten they made us be Indians and Pilgrims for Thanksgiving, and guess who was always the Indian......This is a little strange.

Shauntel said...

I'm glad I'm white too.

Shauntel said...

Ok, I wish I wouldn't have said that. You can delete that comment.