
I have decided to go to the woods today. I will be taking my kids, a book and a pellet gun in case anyone tries to disturb me. I cannot take one more second of election coverage!
The book I will be taking is called "The Forgotten Man" by Amity Shlaes. It should have been mandatory reading for everyone who registered to vote. It is neither a liberal or conservative book, just a plain old history book chronicling the downfall of the economy in the 1930's. Sounds boring, huh? Well, I am still struggling through it, but it is amazing how we can fall into the same traps even though history is there to warn us. I wish people could vote with their heads, not hearts.
As a proud conservative, I will accept the majority vote, whatever it may be - but I hope we are all prepared for what the next 8 years will be like. I hope my kids know how to work their butts off, because I have a feeling that lazy teenagers will no longer be tolerated. I hope we all have a nice savings account and no credit card debt, because the days of spending money we don't have is pretty much over. (This doesn't sound too bad after all!)
And finally, I want everyone to know that as well as checks, I also accept Paypal. I just want to make it easy on those of you who will be making my mortgage payments in 2009. Thank you.

7 comments:
I'm with you. I fear for tomorrow. The other day on someone's blog I read that they really felt the spirit after watching the 30 minute Obama add......What the?
You should come down to Richfield. We went to the Fremont Indian Museum. I think your kids would love it, there is a lot of hiking. I am voting straight Libertarian. Yep, that means SUPERDELL. Did you know that was all one word? And all capitalized. Seriously. I might come down tomorrow. After school. What are you doing?
your a proud conservative? since when?
"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child." Cicero
A friend shared this quote with me, and I have been thinking about it ever since.
"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over a loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been two hundred years. These nations have progressed through this sequence; from bondage to spiritual faith; from spiritual faith to great courage; from courage to liberty; from liberty to abundance; from abundance to selfishness; from selfishness to complacency; from complacency to apathy; from apathy to dependence; from dependency back again into bondage."
---Sir Alexander Fraser Tytler, Scottish jurist and historian
looks bad for us huh?? I think we are somewhere in the complacency/apathy stage and on our way to dependency.
Elisa that was such a good comment. It is going to make me look smarter than I actually am very soon.
Did Erik tell you about the lit-up Obama sign we saw on someone's roof? It's a good thing I had control of the wheel.
Post a Comment