Sunday, January 02, 2011

Here We Go!!!

My Favorite Quote of the Day: by Claire
"Mom, if you don't stop talking I am going to THROW UP."



Day One. Too crazy for pictures - just paint a picture in your mind.

I was feeling VERY nervous today. There was excitement in the air - or maybe it was fear.

This is what happened:

6:45 am: I woke up with no alarm. I showered, ate breakfast and played "Just Dance 2" by myself.

8:00 am: I woke the kids and made them breakfast. Ok - I poured the milk on their Lucky Charms. They did their daily chores with no yelling from mom. Chores are simple here - get dressed, clean up your room, brush your teeth, etc

8:45: Family prayer and scripture reading. I am going to give this a try to see if it brings some peace and serenity to the day.

9:00: I started school by screaming as loud as I could, hoping this would remind the kids of the bell they are used to hearing.

Math and Spelling. Josh was TOTALLY bored beyond belief which gave me some MAJOR anxiety issues.

10:00: Took a break, did a little cleaning and tried to listen to Rush to clam my nerves. The kids used this time to do some "independent study." Reading, practicing handwriting, practicing piano, etc. They called it recess.

11:00: History. Scratch that. I had to change my plan quickly when I saw that I was losing Josh. (By the way, Ali is LOVING every minute of this.) We decided to do a science experiment which Josh loved. We talked about it, drew it out and experimented. The only downfall of this was spilling acetone on my kitchen table. Yep. It's ruined, but the kids had a great time.

11:30: Literature (reading out loud, together) Nope. That one didn't happen either. Science went a little long and the kids were hungry. We had lunch and headed to the grocery store. It's interesting how you can use these everyday chores as learning experiences. I counted it as social studies because we saw all sorts of freaks there. I explained how you should always cover your butt crack and that you should never get a neck tattoo. It was my best lesson of the day.

1:30: The girls had to rush to dance and Josh was pretty much done for the day. I think the thing I learned today was that I can't control this as much as I wanted to. I need to find what it is my kids love, and improvise. I will save the reading for dad tonight and go to bed early. Tomorrow will be a whole new experience.

Conclusion: This is much harder than I thought it would be. I am totally unprepared and frazzled but I am grateful I made this decision. Who else would teach them about butt crack etiquette and table manners in the same day???

3 comments:

Dunn4 said...

Sounds like you did a GREAT job today, regardless!!!! Now tomorrow will be even better...you watch!

Randi said...

Hang in there!

Bryan Crew said...

Josh liked it more than he's letting on, I bet! I'm glad you posted- I wondered how the day went. Good job!