Week one is officially over. I messed up in MANY areas this week, but still feel ok.
Things I learned:
1 - "Winging it" is not a good plan.
2 - Be prepared, but be willing to let things change if necessary.
3 - Don't let the kids know that you don't get it. They will use it against you.
4 - Don't assume that they know things - even if they have been in school for 5 years.
5 - I have great kids.
Overall it was a good week. The days we I tried really hard were the best days - go figure. The most frustrating thing that I have discovered is the fact that my kids literally know nothing. I think they retain things long enough to pass the test, and then move on. I don't fault the teachers on this - I think the public school system is flawed. There is NO way one teacher can instruct 30 students and have them all get it and remember it. Why is Josh struggling with division? Because he hasn't memorized his times tables. It happened each and every day this week- we got stuck on something because the fundamentals aren't there. I have decided to go back to square one and teach the basics - just to be sure.
Things around the house have also surprised me. My house has been clean and orderly. I have had time to spend with each kid individually, there has been less fighting, and the attitudes have been better all around. It is the OPPOSITE of everything I expected.
I'm not sure if anyone is interested in this - but I'm sharing it anyway.
Friday, January 07, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
I'm interested! I think what you're doing is so cool. I agree that the education system is flawed. I'm glad things are working out! Way to start on square one. You could take all the time you need on one subject when they're struggling instead of having 30 kids to deal with at the same time. Your kids are gonna be geniuses. And you are awesome.
I have way too many thoughts and questions on this- I'll have to call you some day...but not in the middle of the day when you are working your magic with the kiddos.
that last comment is from Alison...
I will use any excuse to take a break! I take calls at all hours.
I am interested. Keep it coming. _Diedre Gray (Elisa's friend)
You will look back on this as one of the best experiences of your life. Homeschooling brought our family so much closer. And look at the geniuses I created :)
Keep up the good work!!!
Post a Comment