
One of the reasons that homeschool was a possibility for me was the fact that I have a great support system. Erik has been WONDERFUL. He takes all of his non-working and non-weight lifting time to help me stay sane.. My mom has also been AMAZING. She had the kids over for a GREAT lesson today. The kids LOVED every second of it and actually learned some useful things! When it was over, she sent me an email outlining the things they had discussed, learned and made so that I could follow up. It made me feel like a failure once again, but grateful to have such wonderful people in my life.
A big part of my decision was based on the horrible behavior of my children. I don't blame them for it - I think it is almost impossible to negate when your kids are in school. (Unless of course you are a WONDERFUL parent, which I am not.) There is no fear of authority, there is a gang mentality and manners go out the window.
My brother came across some information about George Washington recently and shared it with the family. When George was a young man he transcribed and memorized "110 Rules of Civility & Decent Behavior in Company & Conversation." My mom decided that she would teach these to the kids, a few at a time. I guess my job will be to follow up and try to memorize them as we go along. These rules are VERY old fashioned and have to be explained in today's context, but are so worthwhile.
She also taught table manners and proper place settings. I love that my kids are learning things that we are usually too busy to teach. I hope that they grow to appreciate those who take the time to teach them. I know I do!!!

2 comments:
I am more than willing to repeat this lesson for any other lil grandchildren. I could use the money. I can't wait to spend my first paycheck. Where is that Kelly? Claire tried very hard to fart on demand when we were talking about good manners. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a poopy stain on her undies. So you can see what a good teacher I really am! I definitely have good classroom control
You just ruined my picture of how the day went.
Post a Comment