
Just to clarify . . .
A lot of people think I am crazy for wanting to homeschool. I have had a lot of interesting feedback and I appreciate the honesty of my friends.
There are a few things I want to explain . . . I'm not sure why.
#1. I do not want to take my kids out of school to shelter them. I am in no way naive about the world. At some point kids have to face the stark reality of life and I don't want my kids to be unprepared for this. But I will not apologize for wanting I to shelter my kids from teachers who spew their propaganda about global warming and gender neutrality at them. Yes, we killed all the Indians with our STD's and capitalism is ruining our country. We can't sing Christmas songs at Christmas and we can bring both of our moms to parents day. AGGHHHHH!!! There will come a time when my kids will face these issues, but I don't want them to be 7 and 9 years old when they do.
#2. I am not worried about my kids' ability to socialize without school. This is such a crock but has stopped me from doing this sooner. My kids will still play basketball and piano and go to cub scouts and activity days. They will take swimming lessons and dance class and play with their friends. They will not have to act like clowns in their classrooms to vie for the attention of their teacher. They will not have to act stupid to get help. They will have a mom who knows them better than ANYONE guiding them and helping them find what it is they love to do. They will be smart, well behaved and RESPECTFUL to adults!!!
I know there will be some yelling and some days that I will regret doing this. I will be calling the doctor begging for medication at some point. I may crawl back to the school with my tail between my legs in 6 months pleading with them to take the maniacs back. I'm not sure what the outcome will be, but I know that I was put here to be a mother and I need to try to do the best I can.
I feel like such a nerd and would be GAGGING if I read this on someone else's blog, but it is what it is. I know I am still cool, even if I feel like I'm in an episode of Little House. Mondays we will be churning butter . . . Tuesday is candle making day . . . Wednesdays we will bottle meat . . . . Thursdays will be filled with scripture reading and proselyting. . . Fridays will be double medication day . . . and I will drive to the woods and sleep in my car every weekend.

12 comments:
It will take a lot of sacrifice on your part (hopefully not weekly lunch dates), but it will be well worth it. I'm excited for you! Dalton still begs me to homeschool him again. If I thought I could keep up with his brain, I would consider it :) Good luck!
I've heard that "The Well Trained Mind - A Guide to Classical Education at Home" is a great book and resource.
Kelly!! I missed Sunday's post. I thought this was happening next school year?!! When are you pulling them out? I don't think I have the guts to do it in the middle of the year. I don't even know if I have the guts while we are in the same town. I need a change like us moving so that things are changing anyway, ya know? Luckily (or hopefully) we will be doing just that for next school year. I want to know more details. Ali wants to come once a week for photoshop lessons, don't forget!
You Go Girl!
Miriam had an on-line pre-school called Rusty and Rosie from the Waterford Institue I was really happy with. I think it only goes to grade 2 but we loved it.
I think they have programs for other kids. Waterfordinstitue.com
We love the Ingals over here so go for it!
Wow. I feel so much better! Thanks for all the resources! I'm on my way!!!
k12.com
this is AWESOME!! I have a ton of activities and lessons too for all grades if you need them. I am in total support of this. Especially when Joey told me how indoctrinated Gwen is towards global warming now. Way to have the guts to actually do something about it.
K well I have no resources for you but i just want to add my support. There was a time when i would have thought you were crazy but times have changed and i really believe that if you are going to keep you kids close and safe and sane you are going to have to be the one that teaches them. Wouldn't it be great if we all went back to basics like the Ingal's. I admire you for standing up for what you believe and then acting on it!!
Wow. I think I have to do it now!!!!! I need to get with you Elyse! I think you could give me some really good ideas. Can you just put everything together for me??
So Kelly,
1st I have to admit I read your blog from time to time and I hope you don't mind. I followed the link from Roz's blog and well there you have it, my private blog stalking is out in the open now. Anyhow, I usually never comment on anyone's blog just secretly stalk but I have to say it is nice to know I am not the only one that has thought about homeschool. I just thought that if you home schooled you had to wear wool socks and hug trees. Anyhow, my friend does home school and she called the school district and they sent her a computer and have an online teacher that helps when needed and the curriculum is actually really good. Anyhow if you want the info and you are totally not freaked out that a person from your past reads about your life let me know and I will get you the info. Good for you for being so mother like! He He!
Shemri- I ALWAYS blog stalk and have been to your blog too!!! Thanks for the support - I am surprised at how many people are encouraging and not calling me a freak. I wish the world wasn't so crazy but I guess we have to deal! Did your friend do this in Utah? I would love more info if she lives in the state . . . I am still a little worried about doing it right. Thanks for your idea!
Post a Comment