
(Did you know Julia Childs was 6 Feet tall???)
There are millions of things that make me different from everyone else, but I will delve into my childhood for this one. The one thing I ALWAYS remember about growing up was how much I hated the way I looked. I remember being excited when on the first day of jr. high because I had been promised that everyone would catch up to my height by then. I also recall that I was VERY disappointed when everyone looked the same. Any boy who was taller than me was dating a girl half my size and I couldn't share clothes or shop with my friends. (I don't even know what I did for clothes back then, I guess I just looked like an idiot.)
I waited a long time to feel like I fit in but never did. I wanted to slap every girl who ever said, "I wish I was tall like you," and every boy who wouldn't date me because I didn't fit the mold. I remember when I first started dreaming about dating Erik. I thought he was so cute but felt insecure about how we would look together. I made one of my taller friends go to the movies with him so I could see what they looked like. In the end I fell in love with him and didn't care what anyone said.
It has taken me a REALLY long time to be comfortable with it, but I love it now. It's easy to find cute clothes and I think I would look a lot fatter if I were short. The towering also makes me feel more powerful and less insecure. I like to intimidate people with it too. If I ever let my eyebrows grow together I will be very menacing.

4 comments:
I just dressed you in my clothes? Your favorite was that denim jumper. I can't believe you have forgotten that!
Like you need height to intimidate people.
Amen to the looking fatter if shorter. I think all the time that if I were 5'9" I would be fine at my current weight.
I am feeling a bit insecure myself at the moment. I just wrote a letter to the editor to the Scouting magazine for publishing a picture of scouts with Baltimore Raven cheerleaders. I just felt like I should say something about how stupid I think that is, and now if they publish it I WILL DIE.
So...you are tall and I can't keep my mouth shut (lets not bring the size of my butt into this) at least you don't humiliate yourself.
Good for you Elisa!! Scouts should be a cheerleader - free zone!! I'm glad Josh doesn't get that magazine! I can promise you won't be the only complainer - there are plenty of decent moms left in the world.
I'm waiting for you to realize how pretty you are! You shouldn't want to change anything. Glad you're finally comfortable with your height. I think it's awesome! And yes, I wish I was tall like you. I could have dominated the volleyball court :)
Post a Comment