
Warning: Anyone who is deeply involved in the education system may be offended by the following post, but I know you want to keep reading.
Walking into the courtroom today was like being on a farm with a bunch of other cows. Most of the other defendants smelled bad (If you were one of them and you are reading this I am NOT talking about you) and they were all deadbeat parents. Ok, So some cows aren't deadbeats, but I just wanted to let you know it kind of smelled like a farm in there.
The Prosecutor gave an AMAZING speech that went something like this,
Prosecutor: "You are all sucky parents, you can plead not guilty but you will lose at trial, so just sign these papers saying your kind of guilty and you can leave this room."
Question from the herd: "What if . . . blah blah blah?"
Prosecuter: "You suck. Do you understand what I am saying?
Cow: "No."
Prosecutor: "Ok. What I'm trying to say is that if your kid is sick, send him to school anyway. The secretary can then decide if he is TRULY sick and let him come home.
Cow: "But I am a nurse. I think I know when my kid is sick."
Prosecutor: "You don't know anything and are not capable of determining whether or not your child is sick."
Cow: Well, if we go to trial will my childs grades or behavior be taken into consideration?"
Prosecutor: "No. We don't care about his performance, we just need a body in the seat so we can collect our well deserved money so sit down and stop asking me these ridiculous questions.
After two hours Erik and I became a part of the herd and signed the papers. If Josh misses any school next year we will promptly be sentenced to 180 days in jail and a $1000 fine. Hawaii will be well worth the fine. (Unless I can get that vacation PRE-APPROVED!!!)
Now, I fully understand why this law was enacted. I know that some parents can't get their kids to school because they are too busy doing meth or promoting their online porn site, but I am a decent human being who thinks I should have control over my own children. Josh never missed a homework assignment, a test or anything I deemed beneficial. He may have missed a few parties and movie Mondays, but one look at his performance records and hygiene could tell a person that he is not on the road to truancy.
Anyway, I have all summer to decide what to do about this situation. Home schooling is an option, but neither of my kids want to do it. If anyone has a suggestion I would love to hear it.

7 comments:
How many days did he actually miss? Can they really send you to jail and fine you?
I have a homeschooling dream. I would love to do it, but Miriam is the same as Josh and Ali, she has been looking forward to school for 2 years now. And...after doing some projects with her I have to admit it might be a strain on our relationship if I am her sole teacher.
I can't even comment on the court thing...it is pure madness.
I want to say something nice and encouraging, but I think they turned you into a really mean person today and I am afraid of what you might say to me.
They did turn me into a mean person. Apologies all around. Roz- he missed 20 days, which I know sounds like a lot but he had strep twice and we went on a few small trips.
Here's my suggestion: Get your shit together and get your kid to school! 20 days is an entire month of school! It's like he got an extra month of vacation. I think you were let off easy. Your kids should probably be taken away from you. You clearly don't know how to raise children. I was really looking forward to visiting Rass in jail, I think stripes would be a good look for him.
P.S. This counts as an adventure right?
It will be okay. 1,000 isn't really that much money and Jail time could be fun!
I am ignoring a few of these comments and I still think I'm right.
Post a Comment