Monday, October 06, 2008

Blogging Extravaganza



Tonight I have cleaned out my camera and downloaded a lot of pictures, so I am going to squeeze in a massive amount of happenings.
First of all, Claire celebrated her 2nd birthday. This is nothing like a child's 1st birthday. No party, no little cake that the kid rubs in her face, no crazy mom with a camera, well, maybe that one. We had a quiet night at home with spaghetti for dinner and an awesome spongebob cake.



She was pretty happy, and she got lots of presents. Thank you Elisa for shoes - she has such a love of shoes and actually took her nap while wearing them. She got a matching crown from Randi, a doll and outfit from Karra, some snuggly jammies and an animal book from Grandma & Grandpa R., a talking dolly from Grandma Patty, and a halloween baby from Joey & Suzy. I spread the gifts out during the day so she wouldn't get too overwhelmed.





It was also conference weekend, notorious for a fight between Erik and I. We usually fight because I want to go somewhere and he doesn't, but we reversed roles this year. I wanted so badly to stay home, watch conference, and give Erik some down time after listening to him talk about never getting a vacation. He was suppose to go help his mom at the cabin, but when we woke up to rain, he figured there wouldn't be any work going on up there, so we stayed home. About 3 hours into it I realized what a mistake we had made. When Erik says vacation, this is not what he means. By day 2 we had both eaten ourselves into coma's and had barely left the house. It was everything I had wanted to do, but it sucked royally. NEVER AGAIN. On the upside, he went to work this morning with a smile on his face and a spring in his step.



Today I was truly excited to continue a new family tradition - 2 years running. Randi and I took the kids out of school early and headed to the lovely Elsinore, Utah. We stopped in Richfield on the way to pick up Suzy and the kids (including Joey) - Hansen's Pumpkin Patch was our destination. This place is one of my favorites in all the world. It is run by these old farmers on a family farm. They hook trailers to their tractors, load them with hay and drive you around the farm to pick out and cut your own pumpkins, gourds and other weird looking vegetables. They hand you the cutters, and you can just wander around looking for the perfect pumpkin. We loaded the trailer up with about 40 assorted pumpkins and headed back to the car. The farmer comes over to the trailer, looks at it for about 3 seconds, and gives you your price. We left with $70 worth of pumpkins, which was a crazy good deal compared to the grocery store or other pumpkin patches I have visited.



When we are ready to leave, one of the farmers asks us if we want to ride the train, which is one of those tractor - pulling carnival trains that you have to pay $5 to ride at International Days. So we load the kids up and he just stares at us. Oh . . . he thinks the adults are going to ride too! Basically after a few minutes of arguing, we ALL loaded up and went for a ride from HELL that was more like an off road jeep ride, but was pretty fun! We thanked him and headed to THE BIG ROCK CANDY MOUNTAIN!



Whew.... this is almost over. Blah Blah Blah, the food wasn't that good, it was kind of pricey and the gift shop sucked, but the kids thought the mountain was made of chocolate, so I guess it was fun.

2 comments:

Shauntel said...

I'm so glad Kara called me for that wonderful BBQ. Oh man, why did I tell her I'd go? Next time I'll just say, maybe if we have time! I really didn't get the point of that. We heard people talking about how they can't even vote here and how many of those damn kids were only 17?

By Suzy Carlson said...

Thanks for coming to visit, we get lonely. I stole your bug overlayed picture. Thanks. I need to get a new family picture. Did you get enough pumpkins?