Thursday, May 16, 2013

The 7 year itch

This is my new normal. . .  Stay up ALL night and sleep half the day. I think this is kind of like working the graveyard shift, but my job is to spend two hours soaking my feet in ice water, and three hours scratching myself until I am bruised (I don't know how I did that) or bleeding.  It is during these hours that I feel totally out of control and helpless. I'm not sure why the itching intensifies at night, maybe it's just karma or something. I know it's crazy, but at 3 am I wonder what I have done to deserve this... Stupid, huh??? If I could just go back and un-steal that $20 from my dads hamper, or take back the time I called my mom a wretch - I actually screamed it. In her face. Irrational, maybe. 

I try to read, but I'm too distracted. I keep going straight to the wire brush in my bathroom drawer, something I KNOW is shouldn't do. I think about all the things I didn't get done today, but I don't really care. I got to watch josh play in a band concert and see Ali with her new bright blue braces.

I did the unthinkable today and ordered food from the Shwan man. At some point I have to face the fact that it doesn't matter who actually prepares the meal. It can be some 50 year old woman with meth problem, or it can be me. The kids will still look at it and ask if they can have cereal. 

Kids. We decided to share a little with them since I am tired and needing more help. Of course Ali accused us of trying to trick her into doing more work around the house. I had to laugh, because she doesn't do ANY work around the house now. And after my last doctors appointment, I let th know that they should all be on the lookout for moms new liver. Claire gladly volunteered her own while Josh say and contemplated things. Ali immediately told me to stay away from hers, but that she would help me kill someone for theirs. I worry about her a little.

Does anyone have a good night time hobby for me to try?

6 comments:

suzy said...

I don't like this. And there is nothing wrong with the Schwann man bringing dinner. Especially his pot pies and chicken cordon bleu. I wish I had you over, or Ali last night. Joey was gone so I was going to stay up all night cleaning. But then I got scared. Ali could've protected me.

Elisa said...

Sadly, I am kind of a sleeping pill addict. Most likely you have tried it, but if not you could joint the addiction club with me. I think good advice I have been given (but have a hard time following) is to just be at peace with being awake and make it as pleasant as possible. Movies, tea, a good book whatever it takes to let yourself be okay with what is happening.

Schwann is awsome! Simplify simplify simplify. Almost every day in the summer we eat some version of a "salad wrap" for dinner. Those uncooked tortillas from costco with salad inside...somtimes with meat or nuts sometimes not. I just very the dressing that is on the salad. My kids don't love it but they eat it because they get a cinnomon tortialla or a popsicle if they do.

The kids are adorable!! Ali and Josh will get you laughing through this whole experience and Claire will follow up with all the hugs you need. I just hope Josh doesn't keep all his feelings wrapped up inside. Actually, I hope Erik doesn't either. Those Rasmussen men have great depth of feeling but tend to not let it come out...don't you think??

Rass said...

They love keeping it all inside!! I have definitely tried everything to sleep - ambien doesn't touch me anymore. And I think you're right - I just need to know ill be wake and make the best of it. I just got a new book and set up a comfy corner so Erik doesn't have to be up with me.

patty said...

I'm thinking family history or indexing might be just the ticket. There is less traffic on the site in the middle of the night Being up alone in the middle of the night is lonely in a weird kind of way. So maybe the spirit that accompanies those activities will make you feel a sweet, comforting companionship.
I'm glad you don't have a 9 to 5 job. At least you can make up some sleep whenever you can fit it in.You can spend those long hours writing a song about the graveyard itch.

Rass said...

It sounds like you've already written the song.

NatPalmer said...

Hi. We don't know each other, but have several common connections (Suzy, Julia, Shauntel...) and I clicked on your blog thinking it was another Rasmussen fam. So sorry if this seems random, but I'm not creepy, I promise.

Anyway, I was skimming through (because I'm nosey) and the horrible itching you mentioned caught my eye. When I was pregnant with my 3rd baby, I had cholestasis- which is when your liver produces too much bile during pregnancy & isn't usually harmful to you, but can hurt the baby and result in a stillbirth if not delivered by 37-38 weeks. I didn't know I had this condition until the last few weeks of my pregnancy when my hands and feet started itching... as in a BURNING itching from hell! I called my doc & he said to take Benedryl. That didn't help. I was pretty much in tears for 5 days, wondering what in the heck was going on! The only relief I could get was wrapping cold wash cloths around my feet and hands. People thought I was crazy or dramatic. One night I was up, unable to sleep because of the itching, and came across a website called "itchy moms" about cholestasis during pregnancy. When I read about the risks to the baby, I freaked out and went to the hospital the next morning, demanding a non-stress test and blood work. I was exactly 38 weeks. The nurses told me not to self-diagnose myself, but hooked me up to the fetal machines and it happened that I was already in labor. I had a healthy baby girl that day (thank heavens!) and afterward my test results came back confirming that I'd had cholestasis. (In yo face, rude nurses!) A few hours after giving birth, the itchiness went away. I was told it was caused by salt deposits on my skin. I am now pregnant with #4, due at the end of July, and I keep bracing myself, wondering if the condition will pop back up. We are starting to do blood tests every 2 weeks, and so far no liver problems... but I'm paranoid. Anyway- that was a long story from someone you don't even know, but I just wanted to say that when you mention the horrible itching, I have a teeny-tiny understanding of the discomfort you feel every day. I'm glad you got a diagnosis, so that at least you know what in the heck is happening! Good luck to you and your family. :)

~Natalie Palmer