Saturday, May 04, 2013

Hey Jackass

It's been a few days since I received my life changing news and guess what?? I'm still here, which is so crazy because I thought my life was over.

I have been so torn  torn this week on so many issues. Do I research PSC online, or do I live in la la land? Every time I get online, I find something horrible that makes me lose my mind for a few minutes. I can't tell you how many times Erik has walked in only to find me sobbing into my pillow for no apparent reason. The poor guy is handling it like a champ.  I, on the other hand am a basket case.

 Anyway, I decided last night that I would sift through as much information as possible - good or bad.
I came across a great blog written by a 28 year old PSC survivor from the UK. He kept such a great journal of his entire experience with this disease - including his liver transplant and life afterwords. I think Heavenly father knew that I needed to find it and read it and be honest with myself. I cried as I read about his life - totally in awe of his optimism and realistic attitude.

I have felt so blessed this week. I have seen my family and friends filled with fear and compassion for me and a willingness to do ANYTHING to help. I am so grateful for the life Erik and I have here because it has enabled us to be around family and meet friends who have become so impoortant in our lives.

I feel weird talking to people about this, because its very comlicated and sounds so grimm, but I am thankful for the people who have gotten over the awkwardness of it to tell me they are thinking of me. I have never been able to do that for anyone else. I have always liked to petend that things are ok and nothing will ever change, but I'm learning that I don't get to pick my own course.

I am finally starting to feel better, but the tiredness seems to want to stay forever. I am afraid of the pain and sickness that will come, but I am also happy that I am young and have time to be with my famly and friends. I hope this gloom will wear away with time - I know life will go on and that I have may years ahead to complain. I want to find the funny and happy things in life to blog about - but I will try to face the scary things too.

As I layed out on my trampoline the other day, wanting to be outside and alone in the sun, I could hear some kids from the daycare in the next yard whispering. They had discovered me and decided to taunt me, as all good kids will do to a 37 year old woman who is laying on a trampoline in her bathrobe. At first I was annoyed since I wanted to wallow in my misery, but couldn't help but laugh. After a few minutes of trying to ignore them, they started yelling, "Hey jackass! Hey jackass, we know you can see us. Why Are you such a jackass??" I  realized I WAS being a jackass. Time to get up and get dressed.

3 comments:

elysebeard said...

I can't imagine how scary it is to face something so unknown. One thing I know about you is how good you are at finding funny things in life and making fun of them. Sooooo, just know we are always thinking about you. I really wish I could help....I can send you a gay flag from the Castro district.... It could make you really happy with all it's bright colors and stuff...?

Rass said...

I love gay flags! Thanks Elyse - Love you guys

Lori said...

For some reason my last comment never posted on your last blog. But just wanted you to know that I really admire your strength and wit and your honesty about life. You are seriously one of my favorite people!! We love you and will always be here for anything you ever need!!