Tuesday, August 31, 2010


The older I get, the more I like to try crazy things. A few months ago I quit sugar - it was the hardest thing I have ever done. Until now. I am currently trying to break my caffeine addiction. I have thought about doing this for a while, but in the end decided that it was stupid. Why give up something I love?

Caffeine was a HUGE part of my sugar free success. I could live without candy as long as I could suck down 10 diet Pepsi's everyday. I could have gone for the Fresca, but I needed the caffeine to replace my sugar high. Now I am all alone. No caffeine high, no sugar high. Some might sigh I still have family and friends to give me a natural high, but to that I say, "HA!!!"

The option of going cold turkey was discussed, but in the end we decided that it would be too dangerous. I am weaning slowly. I started at about 600-700 milligrams a day and am down to 200. I know this seems like a lot - it is equivalent to about 4 cans of diet coke - but it is a drastic change for me. I am experiencing headaches, constant yawning, drowsiness, meanness, yelling, and body aches. I am excited to incorporate the nausea and sleeplessness.

The funny thing about this life change is the reason behind it. I have no intention of giving up my beloved caffeine. I am simply trying to take a break so that I can experience the highs again. I'm kind of excited.

2 comments:

Sara said...

Way to go!

Randi said...

Where's the crazy button.