Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Children of the Recession, Oh my!


CBS News is always good for a laugh. When i saw a promo for tonight's feature; "Children of the Recession," I knew I had had to watch. You would think that with such a headline they could actually find some suffering children which I'm sure exist. I realize that people have lost their jobs and things are getting really scary for a lot of people. You are reporters-Find them!!!
The highlight of the piece of garbage was was when teenagers were asked "What does the recession mean to you?" Here were just a few of their brilliant answers:
- Having to wear $10 shoes.
- Having to sleep on the floor. (Not a dirt floor. Just a regular floor.)
- Waiting for my next paycheck to buy guitar strings.
and my personal favorite . . . . Not being able to afford my prom dress which one of my teachers then paid for so I actually got to go, but it was kind of a rough few minutes when I wasn't sure.

Now I will not deny that money has never really been that big of an issue for me. We always had money growing up and Erik has a good job which provides nicely for our family. Things can get pretty tight for us at times and I am probably a little irresponsible with money, but that is another story which will never be told. The point is, do we really understand the meaning of suffering? I find it HIGHLY offensive that today's recession is being compared in any way to the great depression.



This may be stupid, but I kind of welcome a little suffering. How will my kids ever learn about life if they always get everything they want? They need to learn how to work hard and be disappointed a lot - thats what makes a good kid. Obviously I do not want to suffer - and I want my kids to be happy, so I will not try to teach them any of these things. Perhaps I will make Josh wear $10 shoes tomorrow and make Ali sleep the floor tonight. As for Claire, I will tell her no to that special prom dress and then surprise her with it the night before. Brilliant.

PS- I am aware that this post might be filled with hypocritical statements. Get over it.

4 comments:

Elisa said...

The news is funny.

patty said...

You should have put that pic of Claire with the dirty face. Now that's recession. You could send her out to sell matches.

The Nielson's said...

We were children of the recession in the 90's (even though there wasn't one.) Remember that brown car your parents made you drive? That's a recession car! Good thing Mainord wrecked it or your kids might be driving it in a few years. :)

Sarah said...

We were also children of "a" recession once. We had to shop at the DI for clothes to wear to girls camp.