Saturday, January 21, 2012

If its brown flush it down



I started my excercise routine again this week. I was on a three month streak a while back, but had to quit when I started to have liver problems again. I was pretty bummed out because I was feeling pretty good and starting to see results.

Turns out its really hard to start up again one you have been in bed for a month. I was also finding it kinda hard to make it to the gym. I guess homeschooling is hard. My kids are almost ALWAYS home and not quite ready to become latch-key kids.

I spent a month researching treadmills and finally got one. It was pretty traumatic considering the abuse that I have taken for ten years because of the first treadmill I bought. After Josh was born I spent $500 on a treadmill that made a lovely clothes hanger. I probably used it 5 times in the year we had it. I finally sold it, but every time I want to buy something big, Erik says, "REMEMBER THE TREADMILL???" Apparently he knows how to hold a grudge.



ANYWAY - I used my Christmas wish and also gained 15 pounds so I could try again. I decided to try something new this time, however. Instead of finishing my workouts with a liter of diet Pepsi, I am trying the green smoothie. It is suppose to be really good for my liver ailment and my colitis, and since I DETEST green vegetables I decided to try. At first, my smoothies were bright purple because I had to put enough blueberry in to mask the spinach. I am on my second week and now have a BROWN smoothie. It looks totally disgusting, but I can officially tolerate a LARGE handful of spinach with less fruit. I have also learned to tolerate Kefir, which was also a great feat for me. I haven't branched out beyond spinach, but I feel good about myself. I am anticipating bright green by next week - I'm even thinking about adding beet juice. I must be crazy.

5 comments:

elysebeard said...

you are awesome! I don't think I could drink those things....I bet they are soooo good for you though. Also, I have no idea what kefir is. sounds like hefer but worse.

Rass said...

It's like liquid plain yogurt but even more sour. It's gross on its own, but kinda good in a smoothie. Maybe you were thinking heifer because I was talking. No offense taken.

Shauntel said...

That looks sick. I'd go back to Diet Pepsi for sure. I just dry heaved thinking about it.

Kamie said...

Green is more appetizing than brown isn't it? Maybe we can swap smoothie recipes :)

suzy said...

I have never heard of kefir either...where do you get it? I need to start making smoothies instead of juicing cause the juicer is a pain to clean. So then I just don't do it. Send me an agenda of your day so I can just copy what you do and eat. Thank you. Also, it is super late but I sent you a check in the mail.