Friday, April 01, 2011

Just the Beginning



So today is the beginning of what I will call "Erik's Weekend." His birthday always falls on conference weekend, so he gets a bonus by not having to do ANYTHING all weekend - including shaving for church. He always tells me he doesn't want anything, and I almost always end up getting him something he doesn't want. He must have been raised right because his birthday has always been pretty low key.



Finally, after like our 20th year, he asked for a gift. "I want to go to the Sagebrush." If you've never heard of the Sagebrush or never EATEN there, you have missed something great. The Sagebrush was discovered by my brother a few years ago in Monroe, Utah. It is a small restaurant on the main drag in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere but they have THE BEST FOOD I have ever eaten in my life.



So he wants to make a 2 hour drive to eat something called "The Trump." We always see it on the menu but have never gotten it. The waiter informed us that it's only requested about once a month - I'm guessing the $75 price tag might be a factor. The Trump is a 12 oz fillet that has been dry aged - it is the BEST steak in the world. It is topped with a pound of crab meat - which i don't like, but Erik says is delicious. It also includes a bunch of prawns, a baked potato, a salad and a roll to be specific. Totally worth the drive.



Anyway, It also happens to be April 1st, Suzy's birthday, and a great day to make my kids cry.



I started the day with cereal frozen solid with the spoon included. My kids must have been really hungry because two of them started to whimper as soon as they realized they couldn't move the spoon. I calmed everyone down, reminded them of the holiday and moved on. I sent them downstairs to get dressed and ready for the day. They were upset once again when they realized that the clothes in their drawers belonged to another sibling. Strike two.



As we were getting ready to leave the house I got one final scream as they tried to put their shoes on but found they were all too small due to the toilet paper I had shoved in the toes. Apparently the only one who thinks I'm funny is me.

6 comments:

suzy said...

I'm jealous that you spent the time to play pranks today. I never do, I'm too selfish with my birthday I guess. But after you left today Gwen asked me why I never fool them like Aunt Kelly does? I'm so glad you guys came down for the Trump. The food was so delicious and it was so much fun!

Joey said...

my first successful photo bomb.

Rass said...

I forgot you were even back there! Does that sound familiar?

elysebeard said...

Those pranks are so funny! I wish I could think of funny things to do, but I never can. I think I'd have to google ideas. Can't wait to make Dale cry.

Randi said...

I got Jackson good. I rolled a piece of cookie dough in ceyenne pepper and he ate it. Boo ya.

aimee said...

Kelly - you look really pretty! I'm headed to Monroe right now to get some steak and whatever else they can pile on there. Happy Birthday Erik.