Wednesday, February 09, 2011

My latest Dilema



I must be running out of things to complain about, because I am actually worrying about Valentines Day.

Personally, I couldn't care less about the wretched day. Erik and I have been pressured to celebrate it over the years, but we always end up with the same conclusion: This is a stupid holiday. We love eachother soooooo much and refuse to let Hallmark force us into proving it.

On the other hand, public school is based around parties and celebrations, Valentines Day being a HUGE one. My kids are starting to whine about the unfairness of the situation. They will not be receiving 31 Spiderman valentines and loads of cheap candy and they feel CHEATED. I'm just wondering if anyone has a good idea on how to handle this, besides the obvious, which would be me telling them to GET OVER IT.

Would it be too obvious if they showed up at school on party day? I think with the chaos and the whole school on a massive sugar high, no one would notice.

6 comments:

Shauntel said...

You can't pick and choose when you like public school silly. Ask the kids what special think they would like to do. Make ice cream sundaes with their favorite toppings, they pick a movie from the Redbox, deliver Valentines to their friends in hope someone will bring them some too, have a fondu party. If they make the decission of what to do, then they aren't allowed to complain later. Build the anticipation up now so they'll be exctied, but don't use it as a bargaining chip. They would get a party at school even if they didn't take out the trash.

Rass said...

Love you Shauntel. ALL good ideas!!!

Elisa said...

I loved doorbell ditching valentines to neighbors as a kid. You could find some cool valentines to make that would teach an art skill, have them all help make a treat (fractions), and then door bell ditch ( P.E.) and take some to everyone who works with Erik (& Grandmas) just because that would be mushy and nice.

They have some cute valentines book at the library
and of course they could have a treat!

Bryan Crew said...

Heart attack your door after they go to bed and them door bell ditch yourself (knock on front and run back through back door) when they wake up. Then they get to find a treat when they open the door. OR you could buy three different colors of yarn and make a yarn trail throughout the house that they have to follow and find their cupid treasure at the end of their yarn color. You can even go outside with the yarn. Treasure hunts always go over well...

patty said...

Those are all way better ideas than the school party. Maybe they could made some anonymous valentines for people who wouldn't ordinarily get any. Me? Kidding! I'll bet there are people in the ward who would be so excited to get a homemade valentine and a cookie on that day. The possibilities are endless once you start thinking in that direction.

Shauntel said...

I want to home school on Valentines now! I love the yarn idea. I think I might do that. Or I might just stick with the original plan and doorbell ditch my own house.