School has OFFICIALLY started for the Rassy kids. FINALLY!! It was bitersweet for my kids to watch all their friends head back this year. They miss the all day party that was summer, but they are loving the laid back homeschool style.
Last year was SO overwhelming for me - I almost called it quits. I waited for fall to draw near and began asking my kids what they wanted to do this year. Without hesitation they both announced that they wanted to homeschool again. I have to admit that I was secretly TERRIFIED. I was so burned out and wanted to give up - but I'm glad I didn't.
This year we enacted "plan B." Now truthfully, this was never a plan I thought I would be in favor of, but I was willing to try. Plan B is a homeschool co-op. We have 5 moms and 8 kids - 5 boys and 3 girls. Whew. The kids range from 1st to 5th grade which has made it difficult, but not impossible. We had a back to school party so the kids who didn't already know eachother could meet and began school the next day. Each mom has chosen a subject - mine is language arts - and will teach it a few times each month.
I had my first "pretend to be a teacher" day last week and felt both overwhelmed and accomplished. All the kids are so well behaved and NICE - that's how I knew this would be different from all those times I subbed in public school.
So far things are working out great for my kids at "The School of Awesomeness," a name they all agreed on. We have a great little schoolhouse and it all seems very legit. I have decided to take things one day at a time - if it works I am happy. If the kids want to go back - I am happy. I am grateful for the time I have had to really get to know my kids through this experience.
Please don't choke on your own vomit right now - I am done.

2 comments:
You are SERIOUSLY the most awesome person ever. I am VERY impressed. Very.
I love it! I want to go to the school of awesomeness! Good job Kelly :)
Post a Comment