Friday, March 04, 2011

The BOMB



This week I had a chance to redeem myself after a GIANT flop. A few weeks ago it was my turn to educate the co-op. We did the experiment where you suck a boiled egg into a bottle with heat. Long story short: Kids think experiments that WORK are cool. When they don't work - NOT SO COOL.











This week I decided to stick with the egg theme, but let the KIDS be responsible for the failure. We had ourselves an old fashioned egg drop. The kids designed their own egg shelters and then sent them crashing to the concrete below my deck.


There were no survivors. They all decided to build what looked like a raft with an egg taped to the top. I assured them that this would result in splatter, but they were pretty confident in their designs. . . OR four boys and one tomboy like watching eggs splatter after a free fall.

3 comments:

AMPM said...

There was excited discussion when we left. I think it was a success!

Shauntel said...

I did this in the 4th or 5th grade. It was really cool. The fire dept came and brought a truck to get the teachers on the roof of the school and then dropped a couple of the survivors higher up on the ladder. I don't remember if mine survived. It probably did, I'm really talented.

suzy said...

homeschool sounds way better than 1st grade public school. I can't wait to move and start homeschooling. It will probably suck when I do it. I might not do it.