Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Back to COOL


School's in and I HATE IT!!!

Don't get me wrong, the first two weeks were HEAVEN, but I'm over it.
Last week it all came back to me like a kick to the head - I remembered why I hate school.
It goes back to my childhood . . .


OK - I always hated school - no big surprise. The kids who loved school were weirdos, and I was no weirdo. I had bad hair that I never let my mom touch, I hated teachers telling me what to do, and I always felt awkward and didn't like being around other kids. So I was kind of a weirdo, but whatever.

Now here I am, a mom who still hates it. Randi and I were reminiscing about those early mornings long ago when my mom waved us off to school, still in her warm, fuzzy robe. We KNEW she was totally going back to bed as soon as the door slammed. But guess what!! She never went back to bed. She spent the day cleaning up and preparing for our return. I know this now because I am living it.

I NEVER see my kids anymore unless I am spraying them with water to rouse them, or screaming at them to GET READY FOR SOCCER/DANCE/FOOTBALL/PIANO, etc. Gone are the days of staying up til 10 and waking up at 8, eating waffles and easing into our day. Now I get to wake up while it's still dark and hustle the kids onto a waiting bus at 7:30. We eat cold cereal and fight over hairstyles and outfits, brushing teeth and tying shoes. Every morning, when the whining gets to be too much, I say, "Homeschool?? C'mon guys, Homeschool???"  They perk right up and move a little faster.

I feel sad that our time together is gone. Don't get me wrong - I am blogging at 9:30 on a Tuesday morning and I have already exercised and made my bed, so things aren't so bad. I have time to stand back and look at my clean floors for longer than 5 minutes and I get to help Erik run a business that needs me. I am happy, and sad. The kids however, are only happy. I think they enjoyed the freedom but just missed their friends too much, and that is fine.

I feel inclined to tell you to treasure all the time you have with your kids, but I will have to come back and erase it at 3:00.




No comments: