I am not sporty. I am HORRIBLE at ALL sports and dislike watching most as well. I can take about an hour of a baseball game if I am there, 5 minutes if it's on TV. I can handle basketball as long as it's not women's, but it gets old pretty fast. I am ok with a little tennis and maybe some gymnastics, but I hate golf. The one exception to this rule is football. I don't LOVE it, but it is the most interesting and most exciting of any I can think of.
Why am I sharing this? Because for 10 years I have been waiting for my boy to get his first set of pads and cleats. This is not to say that I haven't made Josh TRY the other sports, but in my heart I knew it would have to be football. I knew it from the moment he arrived in this world. He had hands that could hold a ball and was built like a linebacker. (Sorry Randi, Carson shares this destiny.) So we have tried soccer and baseball - which I hated almost as much as he did - as well as basketball and swimming, which we will continue because he loves it.
When Josh showed up and weighed in for his coach, I could tell that he felt something he had never felt before - he felt like he fit in. Maybe I am being dramatic, but he doesn't look like his friends - he looks like his dad and he knows it! He will never wear skinny jeans or tight hoody's. He will be strong and he will be on the line. And the best part of this is that he LOVES it.
So why is this such a big deal for me??? It's kind of sad because Josh is good at SO many things yet I focus on this. I am proud of him for not being scared to go out of his comfort zone and try something new. I am proud that he is willing to give up pop and junk food so he will be a a healthier, better player. This may seem strange to other parents - everyone I know has their kid in sports and doesn't give it a second thought, but Josh is my first. I am excited to see him learn and grow and become well rounded. I have always wanted a well read, piano playing linebacker.

1 comment:
Way to go Josh!! He can teach Carson when he gets older.
Post a Comment